womenforfootball.com- As we gear for 2014 World Cup games, top clubs are also in rush to sign their target signings ahead of World Cup games. Specially the fact that in terms of financial terms, if a player shines in World Cup games, his prospects and price will skyrocket. So it makes financial sense to secure a deal with a talented player now, than waiting to the end of Summer.
So here is my published article on SWOL (soccer without limit) on Barcelona’s top Summer targets:
By Niloufar Momeni
It is that time of the year again that top clubs gear up to rejuvenate their squad and winning the race against competitors to land their new signings. This time is no different, especially that top clubs such as Barcelona and Manchester United have new managers on board and their new managers are keen to land their preferred players ahead of the World Cup.
Luis Enrique, former Celta Vigo and Barcelona B manager, was named the new Barcelona manager on a two year contract.
So far one signing has been made to find a strong goalkeeping replacement for the outgoing Victor Valdes and Jose Manuel Pinto: This week, upon his arrival, Luis Enrique secured the services of 22-year old German International Marc-Andre Ter Stegen from Borussia Monchengladbach.
Lionel Messi also put pen on paper and signed an improved contract with Barcelona.
However, just like Barcelona fans, Luis Enrique knows well that he needs to overhaul his defensive options to replace retiring Carlos Puyol and Dani Alves, with the latter all but set to leave for PSG this summer. Based on reports, Luis Enrique is eyeing these players during the summer transfer market to fix Barcelona’s defensive flaws.
1. Jeremy Mathieu: Luis Enrique reportedly is a great admirer of Valencia’s Jeremy Mathieu, and has asked Barcelona to sign the French defender ahead of next season.
2. One goalkeeper among: Valencia’s Diego Alves, Malaga’s Willy Caballero, Levante’s Keylor Navas, and Liverpool’s Pepe Reina.
3. Aymeric Laporte: Athletic Bilbao, central of defense.
4. Inigo Martinez: Real Sociedad. Centre of defense.
5. Marcos Rojo: FC Barcelona are leading the race to land Argentine defender Marcos Rojo who is also wanted by Liverpool, according to reports in Spain.
6. David Luiz: Barcelona are prepared to offer former Arsenal midfielder Alex Song to Chelsea as part of a bid for David Luiz. The Spanish club are set to battle with Bayern Munich and Paris St-Germain over Luiz, who is expected to be allowed to leave Stamford Bridge.
In addition to potential signings above, there are few players returning from loan spelsl as well: Rafinha who is set to return from Celta Vigo, and Gerard Delofeu who returns to play for his former Barca B team boss.
To fund above signings, Barcelona’s new manager is reportedly set to offload several players and these players are rumoured to be shown the door this Summer: Alex Song, Cesc Fabregas, Alexis Sanchez, Pedro, Cristian Tello, Adriano, Ibrahim Afellay and Isaac Cuenca.
From the looks of it, there will be a whole new Barcelona squad ahead of next season. And no one can argue it is not needed.
Original article published at http://swol.co/barcelonas-top-summer-targets-include-chelsea-star/34434#vFBEZmc9u1CU9CFo.99